13 March, 2011

This Week and a Blind Man

Blind_man

So this week has been crazy.  To update you on the Harold auditions, I got a callback for Sunday.  I had pretty solid scenework but didn't make a team.  I was told later that I need to initiate stronger at the top of the scene so that'll be something to work on in the next few months.  I also had a great agent meeting and got called by another one to see my demo reel.  Work was nuts and because it's pilot season I'm workshopping like crazy.  I get up about 5:30 in the AM, get home with about an hour to spare before taking off to a workshop, show or rehearsal.  My immune system can only take so much so of course Thursday night at 2 AM I start coughing and sneezing non-stop.  And that's how I've been ever since.

I woke this morning cursing daylight savings but grateful my neighbor and her boyfriend didn't "express" themselves last night.  Surly Temple here I come.  @SwooshTheDog gave me the WTF look and I was like sorry buddy, mommy's gotta go be funny.  Although, I knew that wasn't happening today.  I decided to take the train in to iO.  I do that sometimes when I'm feeling sluggish and don't want to mess with street parking or the Farmer's Market.  As I walked up to buy my ticket, I noticed a frantic MTA employee (probably a bus driver) trying to assist this man.  Finally, he turned to me and asked if I knew how to work the machine and if I could help this guy buy his ticket.  He then explained he was late and needed to get back upstairs to finish his route.  I said sure, even though I was running late.  The dude was a blind man and was short of money.  I'm not sayin' blind men are always short of money but this one was.  So I took his money, popped it into the machine, added a little of my own and voila - his ticket.

He then asked for assistance getting to the train.  If you've never ridden the subway in LA, there is usually a series of escalators and steps as if you're descending the levels of purgatory.  Yes, it's that wonderful.  At this point, time didn't seem to be a factor to me anymore.  I grabbed his arm and off we went.  I stood next to him waiting on the train wondering if he knew I was still there even though we stood in silence.  Then the train roared into the station.  He started to walk forward and I grabbed his arm.  Whoa big guy, I'm feeling good but not good enough to throw myself on some tracks today.  The doors opened and I guided him to a seat.  About 3 guys jumped up and offered me their seat since I was helping this guy.  Well done LA, who says we're jerky?  And Surly Temple rehearsal you ask?  I got my funny on.  I got my funny on real good.  Help a blind man, bring the funny - simple as that.

 

No comments: